As we age, our bodies change. It’s a fact of life. The changes may be subtle at first, barely noticeable, until one day, seemingly out of nowhere, your knees don’t feel as stable as they once were. Or perhaps you’re no longer able to eat the same types of food you used to love.
Although this may seem scary, it’s completely natural. This doesn’t mean you can’t prepare yourself for the next years or decades. In fact, by following a few healthy tips, you can live a happy, healthy life for years to come!
Today, we will go over the best things adults aged 20-30 can do to keep their health in tip-top shape. As always, if you’re looking for a great family medicine clinic, then we’d love to see you!
What You Should Do in Your 20s
Your 20s are a time of change. It’s when you grow to become who you truly are. Perhaps you’ve found your first full-time job in your preferred field or you’ve decided to settle down and start a family.
No matter where you find yourself in your 20s, it’s time to take your health in stride. Finding a reliable family medicine clinic in El Paso, for starters, can help you on your journey towards a happy, healthy life.
Check out the best tips and tricks for 20-year-olds, below!
- Building a healthy workout routine early on in life results in countless positive benefits later on. Anything from simply walking or light jogging a few times per week to going to the gym regularly can help keep your body and mind fit and active! Find a workout buddy to stay motivated or look for workout inspiration on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, or TikTok!
- Maybe you had to undergo a physical back in high school before joining a sports team and you thought that’d be the only time you needed a physical. Well, it’s quite the opposite. By scheduling an annual physical, your physician can make sure you’re healthy. Physicals include blood work, which helps detect and prevent diseases like diabetes, heart disease, or high cholesterol early on. This is also a great time to discuss potential health concerns with your physician.
Visit the Gynecologist/Urologist
- Women in their 20s should get a yearly pap smear. Although this test may be daunting, it helps to detect cervical cancer, which is an often-preventable disease. Early detection leads to early intervention and prevention. Similarly, young men in their 20s should visit their urologist if they experience changes in their urinary system such as swelling or blood in urine. These can be signs of infection or bladder, kidney, or testicular cancer. If something seems amiss, don’t ignore the symptoms; see your urologist as soon as possible.
- The 20s are known for vast lifestyle changes. These changes, although exciting, can lead to unbearable stress. Practice stress reduction on a regular basis. Find ways to unwind, like going for walks, reading a book, or watching a relaxing movie or television show.
- Although 20-somethings may boast gorgeous skin, it still needs to be properly protected against the sun’s harsh rays. Make sure to wear sunscreen regularly. You can even purchase daily moisturizers that include SPF-blocking capabilities. Remember, the sun’s UV rays can still affect your skin even if it’s cloudy outside. Build a habit of wearing sunscreen on a daily basis and you’ll never have to think about it again!
How to Make Your 30s As Healthy as Possible
Perhaps you’re gearing up to turn 30 and you’re realizing it’s time to focus more on your own health. Visiting a well-reviewed family medicine clinic in El Paso can do wonders for your overall wellbeing.
As you enter your third decade of life, make sure to follow the following healthy tips for a healthier lifestyle!
Continue Your Annual Physicals and Add a Depression Screening
- Hopefully, you’ve been keeping up-to-date with your annual physicals. If not, then there’s no time like the present to get started! This is also a great time to speak with your physician about your mental health. In fact, many annual physicals can include depression screenings. Ask your physician if this is a possibility and be open about how’re doing, both mentally and physically.
Find a Primary Care Provider You Can Trust
- Being completely comfortable with your physician is crucial. This way, you can speak openly about issues you may be facing. Finding a family medicine clinic and doctor you can trust may seem daunting but you can check out reviews from previous patients to see which physician suits your needs the most. Often, you’ll have to discuss some pretty intimate things with your doctor so having an open, reliable connection with them will lead to a happier, healthier relationship!
Remember Screenings (Pap Smear, HPV, Testicular Exam)
- As you enter your 30s, it’s highly recommended that you undergo regular screenings for certain cancers and other diseases. Women should have annual pap smears as well as HPV screenings while men should undergo regular testicular cancer exams.
Eat Well & Stay Hydrated
- In our youths, our metabolism tends to work quickly, meaning we could eat a lot and barely gain any weight. As we enter our 30s, however, metabolism begins to slow down and, as a result, you may start gaining weight. In order to avoid unhealthy weight gain, make sure to eat well.
Instead of ordering take-out three times a week, consider cooking something at home. There are countless great, easy recipes online for you to try out. Similarly, make sure to always stay hydrated. If you drink coffee in the morning, drink a glass of water as well. Hydration translates to a healthier body, and it’s as easy as taking a sip!
Get Some Sleep
- Whether you’re working long hours or your young family has taken over all your energy, you need to make sleep a priority. By getting a healthy 7-8 hours of sleep every night, your body will be able to rest and recuperate from the day’s activities. If you’re unable to sleep for that amount of time, try taking short naps throughout the day.
Choose Us as Your Family Medicine Clinic Today!
The first step towards living a happy, healthy life starts with you. Make the decision to take your health in stride and make an appointment at your El Paso family medicine clinic.
Not sure where to go? We can help! Visit Adult Primary Care & Pediatrics, today. We can’t wait to join you on your journey towards healthy living!